Probiotics are bacteria, but they are the good and friendly ones. In fact, the role of probiotics is to fight off and prevent further growth of bad bacteria and fungus in the stomach. Probiotics, as verified by experts in the field may be taken by everyone, even babies, so long as correct dosage is followed. There are several reason why people take in Probiotics, some of them are:
- Probiotics help maintain a healthy digestive tract. They balances out the good and bad bacteria thus helping the digestive system function better.
- They are known to aid in treating gastrointestinal diseases like Ulcerative Colitis, Diarrhea, Helicobacter Pylori, Fatty Liver Disease, Necrotizing Enterocolitis, Abdominal Pain, and Bloating.
- They are beneficial in maintaining a healthy immune system. It actually stimulates immune response. These good bacteria have an important role in strengthening the body’s immune system.
- It aids in weight loss and maintenance especially for those who have undergone weight loss surgery.
- Probiotics help in fighting off allergies and in reducing their occurrence.
There are several sources of Probiotics. Probiotics may come in the form of food like cheese, yogurt, cultured soy, pickled vegetables and fermented beverages, meat and fish. More commonly, you can have them prescribed to you in the form of supplements which can either be refrigerated or dry formulas. Simple as it may be but there are correct ways on how to take Probiotics effectively:
- Probiotics is good bacteria therefore you need to keep them alive in order to be effective. Depending on which type you have, you can either store it in a cool fridge or in moisture – free, dry and dark place.
- If you are taking Probiotics at the same time with antibiotics, make sure to take them 2 – 3 hours apart since the latter can kill the good bacteria if taken at the same time.
- It is best taken early in the morning upon waking up.
- It is most effective if taken on an empty stomach. You may eat or drink after 20 – 30 minutes of intake.
- Take one type of Probiotics at a time. Tendency is that if you take more than one kind at a time, they will fight each other rather than work together for your body. In the end, both will just be rendered useless.
- It is advisable to take an ample amount of Prebiotics first. You may acquire them from eating fresh fruits and vegetables. This will aid in the Probiotics being more effective since your body is prepared to take in good bacteria.
- It is necessary that you take in the correct dosage. Check your prescription and make sure it has at least 10 billion CFU since that is the minimum dosage proven to be effective. Getting under dosed may not give you the necessary result that you wish to achieve. Better yet, consult with a health professional first before taking in any Probiotics.